Monday, October 5, 2009

Orange-Scented Quinoa with Chicken, Cranberries and Parsley

Inspired by a recipe I found in an old issue of Clean Eating Magazine (great magazine by the way; check them out here). I had most of the ingredients on hand (I omitted pecans to keep it lower in points and I added orange zest) and I thought it would be perfect for my lunches at work because it's so filling and it can be eaten hot or cold. One batch gave me 3 large servings. Will make again!



1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup quinoa
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 cup parsley, chopped
1 chicken breast, diced
zest of 1 orange (optional)

In a saucepan, bring broth and salt to a boil. Add orange juice and quinoa, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until quinoa has absorbed all the liquid, about 10 minutes. Fluff quinoa with fork before adding other ingredients.

While quinoa cooks, soak cranberries in 1 cup hot water until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove cranberries from water and squeeze away excess liquid. Discard soaking water.

Combine quinoa, cranberries, parsley, chicken and orange zest.

Makes 3 - 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment