Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Pioneer Woman's Pumpkin Spice Muffins

As you all know by now, I'm a big fan of The Pioneer Woman. I've been following her blog for about two years now and I can't get enough of her witty writing and yummy recipes.

I recently purchased her cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks. As part of my 101 in 1001 list, I will attempt to cook all the recipes in her cookbook. Yes, I am aware that represents a lot of butter. But I figure one or two recipes a week won't kill me.



I kicked it off tonight with a steak and Pioneer Woman's Whiskey Cream Sauce. No pictures but you'll have to take my word for it that it was tasty! In an attempt to make it "healthier", I used fat-free sour cream instead of light cream and it was still delicious. Still not an every day treat but perfect for a special occasion.

But back to the muffins. This is another Pioneer Woman recipe I recently made though not one featured in her cookbook, this one is straight from the web. Here actually.

I made them sans frosting to make them more healthy and more breakfast-like (as opposed to dessert-like). These little gems were comforting, filling and yummy! I like their somewhat dense texture - hate when muffins crumble everywhere! Will definitely make again and at 3 points each, a reasonable indulgence.

Before baking. See... the tops are sprinkled with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg... You know that's gonna be good!



Fresh out of the oven!



Hope you give these a try!

Pumpkin Spice Muffins
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman

1 cup flour
1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter, cut in pieces
1 cup (heaping) pumpkin purée
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Topping

2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prep muffin tins with liners. Sift dry ingredients. Cut in butter until fully incorporated and mixture is crumbly. In a separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture. Fold gently until just combined. Pour into lined muffin tins. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar-nutmeg topping over the top of each unbaked muffin. Bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove and allow to cool.

8 comments:

  1. oh those look scrumptious...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love her, can't wait till she comes to Austin for her book signing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jealous that she has a book signing near you! I think she should come to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The muffins look really good! I've always wanted to work my way through an entire cookbook. That was my intention for the Fish Without a Doubt cookbook, but it hasn't happened....yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! you did a great job with the muffins! Where did you get her book? I work downtown (Ottawa) and none of Chapters carries it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I ordered her book from Amazon.ca. I wish Chapters carried it, would be a great Christmas gift.

    ReplyDelete