Sunday, June 7, 2009

Orange Coconut Silver Dollar Pancakes

I love lazy Sunday mornings - no alarm, no rush. The kitchen is quiet and I have time to make something other than my usual weekday breakfast fare (egg whites and sprouted grain toast). As a kid, Sunday morning meant big, hearty breakfast and I can't help but crave these every once in a while. Sometimes it's latkes, sometimes it's huevos rancheros, today was typical French Canadian fare - bacon and pancakes with lots of maple syrup! Only these pancakes have a twist - orange and coconut! I stumbled upon this recipe last week and was quick to bookmark it. I knew the tropical combo of citrus and coconut would be a winner and I was right! The flavourscape is definite yet not overwhelming. These two-bite pillows are fluffy but not cakey (my pet peeve when it comes to pancakes). I topped mine with maple syrup though thinned marmalade would also be wicked! Next time, I will sub the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour, I think the nutty flavour would be complimentary.



Inspired by Food Loves Writing and Eat Make Read.

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup coconut
3/4 cup whole milk
1 egg
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, plus more for skillet
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and coconut. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, combine the milk, egg, butter, vanilla and orange juice. Add these wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir to combine. Fold in the orange zest.

Heat a little butter in a skillet over medium heat. Once melted, drop as many small, one-tablespoon-sized dollops onto the skillet as will fit.

Let cook for about two minutes or until they start bubble, then flip and let cook for another minute or two. Top as per your preference.

Yield: 24 small pancakes

1 comment:

  1. And, of course, now I want pancakes again. Love the idea of using a different flour - you'll have to tell me how that goes for you!

    ReplyDelete